Kindergarten is a huge step in a child’s life!
Polk County Public Schools wants to make this big change a little easier and is launching a new Kindergarten Readiness Summer Camp.
During a free, weeklong program, our newest scholars will participate in fun learning activities to better prepare them for success in the classroom and beyond.
The camp will begin Monday, June 27, and run through Thursday, June 30.
Teachers will use play, classroom organization and learning centers to cover essential areas for kindergarten readiness, including language, literacy and math. Children will also learn about important social-emotional skills and topics, such as following rules, taking turns, understanding emotions, and expressing themselves productively.
Summer Camp Highlights
- There is no cost for eligible students to participate.
- Lessons are taught by certified, experienced teachers.
- Instruction will use fun activities and learning experiences focused on academics, social-emotional skills, and important learning habits/routines.
- Breakfast and lunch provided free of charge for all students.
- Parents/guardians will receive a written summary of their child’s learning development over the course of the camp, as well as recommendations for how to continue growing over the summer.
Who is eligible?
- Students must not currently be enrolled in an early learning program (voluntary prekindergarten program).
- Students must be five years old on or before Sept. 1, 2022.
- Students must be zoned for and enrolling in one of the specific elementary schools offering the summer camp. (See list of participating schools.)
The summer camp is available to incoming kindergarten students enrolling at specific elementary schools in Polk County. (See list of participating schools.) The district is exploring the possibility of expanding this new program to other campuses in the future. Students must have their own transportation to the camp.
To Apply online please visit the Polk County Public Schools Website